If you have skills, experience and qualifications within a particular industry that is in demand in Australia, you could be able to apply for an Australian Skilled Visa. This is a visa that is designed to help fill skills shortages in Australia by offering places for skilled migrants. A skilled migration visa offers you one of the best opportunities for skilled workers to work abroad in Australia.
Australia has a significant need for skilled workers. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs advertised around the country every week and the unemployment rate is from 3.5-5%. There are plenty of excellent full time and part time opportunities available and the salaries are high – reflecting the high cost and standard of living in Australia.
However, applying for this Australian Skilled Visa isn’t as simple as just matching your skills with the occupations that are in demand. There are a lot of other factors that are considered, including age, experience, qualifications and much more. The program is looking for people who will fill the gap in these fields that have shortages of workers and quickly make a positive contribution to the Australian economy. There are quite a few things that you should know before you decide to make an application to this visa.
If you qualify for this visa it will give you the ability to work in Australia and potentially make a permanent move here if that is what you want. When you are granted a permanent resident visa, you will be allowed to live and work in Australia for as long as you like. A successful applicant will be given a 5-year multiple entry visa that will allow you the freedom to live and work in Australia. You only need to live in Australia for two out of the five years in order to have the visa reissued for another five years. Or, you could spend four consecutive years in Australia and then at this stage you can apply for citizenship.
What Does the Visa Require?
The Australian Skilled Independent Visa 189 requires applications to be trained in an occupation or skill that is on the most current list of approved jobs. Also, you must be under the age of 50 years at the time of the application. This makes a lot of sense – they are looking for people who are going to contribute to the workforce for a number of years rather than people who are likely to retire soon.
Also, you must have a basic fluency in the English language and be able to pass a test that proves this. If you are from the UK, US, Ireland or Canada you will automatically meet the English requirement, unless you need additional points. Your eligibility is also determined by a points test, which you will need to pass in order to qualify. Also, you will need to be in good health and you will have to have your health assessed by a doctor.
What to Know Before You Apply
Here are some important things you should know about the Australian Skilled Visa before you make your application.
- Getting a positive result on the Online Eligibility Assessment isn’t a guarantee that your visa application will be a success – it just means that you have the minimum amount of points necessary to qualify.
- When you are calculating your points you will be able to give yourself points if you have a certain number of years of experience, but make sure that you are able to back up this entire period with reference letters from employers and evidence of employment.
- Don’t forget that you will need to get your skills assessed in Australia in order to qualify. Do the research and find out the appropriate assessing body that you will need to consult for your occupation.
- Before you submit your application make sure that you double or triple check the requirements, as they can change within a day.
- If you think that you will need extra help and guidance with your application a visa agency such as The Emigration Group can really help.
These are just a few things that you should know before you apply for your Australia skilled visa, so that you can start making the move towards your new life in a land Down Under.